Our Guided tour Algar Waterfalls is a full day private tour with an official tourist guide to the one of the most spectacular and relaxing natural spots on the Costa Blanca of the Valencian Community. Algar Waterfalls are located in the interior of the Province of Alicante, 16 kilometers from the city of Benidorm, near the small town called Callosa de Ensarriá.
Algar Waterfalls is a spectacular set of waterfalls done by the river of the same name. They are connected to each other forming pools of crystal clear and fresh water. These ponds have different depths and are forming authentic natural pool where you can bathe, swim and even jump off a trampoline. It is a perfect place to relax under Mediterranean sun in the middle of natural mountainous landscape. The Algar river is born in the mountains near the waterfalls and runs for about 12 kilometers before flowing into the Mediterranean Sea next to the beautiful coastal town Altea.
Once we have left the highway that connects Valencia with Alicante, we will continue our Guided tour Algar Waterfalls along a winding road that runs in the middle of a beautiful natural setting. We will pass several picturesque towns such as La Nucia and Polop de la Marina. During this drive we will see a variety of local crops: loquats, oranges, lemons, tangerines, almond trees, pomegranates and avocados.
After arriving to Algar Waterfalls we will leave our vehicle in the parking and will continue walking to the waterfalls area. You can easily spend a full day in the middle of this spectacular natural spot, sunbathing and bathing in the waterfalls with its transparent and fresh water. And of course, you can enjoy a delicious traditional meal in one of the local restaurants.
It is also possible to take a pleasant walk along the riverbed enjoying the views of the waterfalls which are appearing one after another in the middle of the Mediterranean vegetation. Along the way we will find several areas of different depths enabled for swimming. Just keep in mind that the temperature of water is about 16 degrees throughout the year.
The main waterfalls are the following:
- The boiler – it is officially the main waterfall with an emerald colored water deep enough to swim between the vertical limestone walls that surround this authentic natural pool. It is also a perfect point to take spectacular photos.
- The Blue – it is a large natural pool of turquoise blue water with enough depth to host a diving board.
- The oleander – it is the largest bathing area deep enough to swim and surrounded by oleander bushes.
- The dam – at the head has a dam with wide waterfall that forms a natural pool perfect for bathing.
- The fig tree and The vine – these are shallow water bathing areas located at the upper part of the river. They are perfect if you have small children or if you want to lie on the river bed while its cool and crystalline waters are surrounding your body and singing its mysterious songs.
After the last waterfall we can continue walking a little further up. We will have about a hundred meters of a winding road that goes along the riverbed with very shallow waters. But very soon we will come to the end of this little path and we will no longer be able to advance because the path cuts short.
Inside of Algar Waterfalls spot there are several picnic places, set up with their corresponding tables and benches. Just what you need is to bring your own sandwiches and drinks.
However, we recommend to complete our Guided tour Algar Waterfalls with lunch at one of the local restaurants. The traditional local cuisine is famous for its special rice dishes, meat, roasts and grilled vegetables, as well as craft beer and artisan liqueurs made from the loquat fruits. Optionally we can organize a gastronomic tasting of local products: jams, honeys, nuts, cheeses, sausages, wines and craft beers. We particularly recommend to taste craft beer and artisan liquors made from the loquat fruits.